The local health agency in Boone said that Inspectors checked a motel where three people were presumed killed by carbon monoxide fumes six weeks before anyone died, but their review didn't include investigating for the poisonous gas.
The Appalachian District Health Department said it inspected the swimming pool at the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone six weeks before a Longview, Wash., couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in their motel room. Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said the room is near the indoor pool, which is warmed by a natural gas heater.
Eleven year old Jeffrey Williams, of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday in the same room where the Washington couple, 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins, died April 16.
The Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza, said company executives were referring questions to the Boone police.
The motel has been closed by police until at least Wednesday, when inspectors from the State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors are due to arrive.