Man Indicted in Boone Hotel Room Carbon Monoxide Deaths
The man charged with involuntary manslaughter in three carbon monoxide deaths at the Boone Best Western turned himself into the Watauga County Magistrate’s Office last week. Damon Mallatere was the president of Appalachian Hospitality Management that oversaw the Best Western and other Boone hotels at the time of the deaths of Daryl and Shirley Jenkins, ages 73 and 72 of Longview Wash., who died on April 16th, and the June 8th death of 11-year-old Jeffery Williams of Rock Hill, SC. All three died in room #225 where investigators found a high concentration of carbon monoxide. Mallatere entered a plea of not guilty then posted a $40,000 bond and was released pending a court hearing.