YCS has taken the following preventative action:
- School buses – elementary and upper grades students will be seated separately
- School buses – disinfecting contact areas after morning and afternoon runs
- Classrooms – Additional disinfecting measures are being taken within the classrooms
- Classrooms – Encouraging students to be extra vigilant in the use of proper sanitation
The Toe River Health District, as well as other local health officials have provided the following additional measures:
- Stay home when you are sick. If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away after use and wash your hands. If a tissue is not available, cover your mouth and nose with your sleeve, not your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Note: Make sure you use a disinfectant that is effective against influenza viruses (should be stated on the label).
Symptoms of flu can include:
- Fever (although not everyone with flu has a fever)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Body aches
- Sometimes diarrhea and vomiting
Yancey County Schools will continue to monitor this situation very carefully and work with parents and students through the remainder of this school year to finalize testing and close out the year.