Graham Children’s Health Services is a collaborative effort that involves, educates and unites the community for the design and implementation of strategies that will improve the health of children now and in the future. As a grass-roots volunteer coalition, GCHS has been bringing the community together to address root causes and determinates of health and wellness for children living in our rural, western North Carolina region since 1997. All of GCHS initiatives are community-driven responses to community identified needs. Some accomplishments over the years include:
- Construction of playground, covered picnic pavilions & fitness equipment at Cane River Park
- Construction of Kid Mountain playground
- Burnsville Fit Families 5K and couch potato training programs
· Creation of Summer Food Program that serves 100 families with food staples and fresh, locally grown produce
· Supported the creation of Girls on the Run in Yancey County and Boys on the Track in Burnsville
· Helped to create the Center for Rural Health Innovation (MY Health e Schools school-based telemedicine program) that provides healthcare to Mitchell and Yancey students
· Partnered in the implementation Healthy Families America – an evidenced based program that provides intensive home visitation to high risk moms for up to 5 years after their child’s birth
· Host the Substance Abuse Task Force. Accomplishments of the task force include:
o Drug Take Back Day (100,000 pills collected last year).
o Creation of after school programs in Mitchell and Yancey Counties (program includes transportation, healthy snacks, structured fitness activities and mentoring)
o Creation of a substance abuse resource guide that is used by physicians, pharmacists, counselors and community members.
o Hosted a Developmental Assets training to support positive youth development
o Creation of summer resource guide of community activities for families that is distributed to all school aged children in Mitchell and Yancey Counties.
o Sponsored Brad Hearon, nationally known inspirational speaker, to speak to the middle and high school about the impact of drug use.
· Host of Healthy Yancey – a group of committed citizens working to make Yancey County a healthier place to work and live.
To get involved with the projects and programs for Graham Children’s Health Services, please call 682-7899 or email email@example.com.