YANCEY COUNTY SCHOOLS PRESS RELEASE:
At a special-called meeting on Wednesday night, July 28, 2021, Superintendent Kathy Amos presented a Covid health update to the school board. Additionally, YCS Lead Nurse Shea Laws reported that YCS currently has 1 active student case and 1 active employee case in the school system. Due to the continued low number of active cases in summer school, Amos recommended optional masks for the start of school.
A motion was made by Wade Dahlberg and seconded by Cody Whitson to approve a Resolution stating the following:
1. That the Board has no individual mask mandate and declares that the wearing of face coverings on school property is optional with the specific exception that the wearing of face coverings by persons while riding on school transportation, including yellow buses and activity buses, is required as per CDC Order.
2. That the Administration is directed to implement all reasonable and possible mitigation strategies (other than requiring face coverings) to the greatest extent possible to prevent the spread of Covid while serving all students with in-person learning.
3. That the Administration is directed to stay in regular communication with the local health department to monitor transmission rates of Covid in Yancey County and in particular within the Yancey County school community.
4. That this Board specifically reserves the right to require face coverings in the future if it is determined that face coverings are necessary in order to keep Yancey County schools open.
5. Any harassment, discrimination, bullying, or intimidation based on any person’s decision to wear or not wear a mask will not be tolerated.
Additionally, Wade Dahlberg asked for the consensus of the Board for a statement that no school personnel will administer vaccines to students. It was the consensus of the Board that YCS nurses are public health nurses and will work with parents to encourage them to contact their primary care doctor or the Yancey County Health Department who can provide the vaccines with parental consent.
This Resolution was approved by 5-0 vote and becomes effective with the expiration of the Governor’s mask mandate on July 30, 2021, at 5:00 p.m